Monday, June 6, 2016

Día Número 22

I finished Anna Karenina today! What a stupendous (and very long book)! The last 80 or so pages are just the epilogue. Imagine that. 80 pages of post-action wind down. Levin converted in the end and Anna (poor Anna) jumped under a train. Her last moment, though, full of emotion as she was, she prayed that the Lord would forgive her everything, and then she died.

Dark as that was, it's the kind of book that will stick with me, and it reminds me over and over again that what we would really like when we've done wrong is punishment or an assurance that it didn't really matter. We don't really want mercy. To be forgiven is harder than to forgive, in many respects!

Now, I'm curled up with Pride and Prejudice, my favorite. I hope to read it all tonight, but no guarantees. I'm trying to go to bed at a reasonable time, and it's already 10pm. Last night, I tried to correct my sleep schedule by getting into bed at 6:30 (when I was sick) and I feel like I didn't sleep at all! At the very least, I rolled around for hours. Nonetheless, I was alert enough today to find this gem while cleaning out my drawers. It's an article for Catholic Studies from the year before we were freshmen describing a day on the Catholic Women's Floor... Can you guess who wrote it??


It might be too small for you to see, but that is Lizzie Schmidt in the flesh. :) She notes at the end that she will never forget the girls who were with her through that year, and I'm inclined to agree with her. In fact, I'm writing across continents right now just to stay in touch with one of the girls from my year on the floor!

I hope your day after the rest day went well and that Alex is feeling better! I hope that you are able to start engaging with your soul just as much as with your body! And I hope that you are having just the right amount of good and bad on the trip of a lifetime! Mostly, though, I pray for you. I need to be better about praying, but I always pray for you. 

Tomorrow, I'll try to post some details about León! My research indicates that the tapas there are fantastic and often come free with a drink! :)

Ponder love today.

No comments:

Post a Comment