Friday, June 17, 2016

Día Número 32

Hey bud! Sorry I missed yesterday! We were out late watching the USA beat Ecuador in the Copa America! It will be the first time in 20 years that we have made it to the quarterfinals, but we now have to play the winner of the Argentina vs Venezuela game, with Argentina being the heavy favorite and Messi's team, and us without our best midfielder. Anna also had a soccer game that she tied, but they should have won. They had beaten this team earlier in the season, but their defense was off their game last night, and they let through a lot of balls that should have been stopped.

All in all, yesterday was a great day. After waking up, Anna and I went to volunteer at the Union Gospel Mission for lunch. I passed out ice cream and cake, and she passed out donuts. Then, I came home and walked the dog, who TRIPLE pooped on me. It was a disgustingly full bag, but I overcame that obstacle with skill and foresight, and then waltzed on up the street to Qdoba where I met Anne and Amy Johnson and we spent two hours chatting. Upon returning home, I dragged Anna out into the sunshine for a little bit while I read and she laid with her cat and a taco that I had brought her, before I left for mass. A young priest, ordained just last year, was saying mass as a visitor to the church, and his homily was memorable. He told us about a theory that the origin of the phrase "spitting image" (as in, he's the spitting image of his father) comes from a distortion of the older english phrase "spirit and image." Therefore, we, who are children of our Heavenly Father in a metaphysical reality (not just metaphorical), are called to be the spirit and image of our Father, making Him present both by appearance (image) and character (spirit). He asked us then to reflect on the ways that we both succeed and fail in living our lives according to the "spittin' image" of God.

After mass, I played basketball with my mom, and then went to the two soccer games (we watched USA vs Ecuador at BWWs). That long overview of my day hopefully makes up for its tardiness, but I am praying for you, and I'm so excited for you as the final days of walking approach. Keep it up! Soon, you'll be in the Eternal City. By the way, if you haven't planned for seeing the Pope yet, you can do so on Sundays. Assuming he's in the city, he gives a noon Angelus and address (in Italian) out of his apartment's window to the people in the square. On Wednesdays, he gives a full audience, meaning a longer talk and he shows up on a lower platform and drives through the crowd, but to see that you need a ticket. However, my group has found it effective to show up early (like 6 or 7am) and ask people at the gates if they have any extra tickets. Often, groups will round up the number they need and have a couple extra for their party. I got in to the Holy Thursday Chrism Mass that way. :)

Today, I'm writing early because I'm off to Lizzie Klaesges' bachelorette party after this, but I'll be back tomorrow. I love you lots, bud.

Ponder love today.

No comments:

Post a Comment